On February 8, 2020, I took a self-proclaimed vacation day, which means I didn’t do or think about anything school related for the entire day, and it was amazing.
After the positive results that came from simply taking a day off, I have decided to spend one day each week not doing anything school related; I think it will really help with my mental health, which always takes a bit hit when I’m at school.
Anyway, here is my vacation day vlog:
Some notes from my day off (in order of when they are seen):
- I don’t normally call my grandparents when I wake up in the morning. They called twice the night before when I was taking some tests, and I decided to return their call the following morning.
- “Alexa, What’s Up?”: Amazon’s Alexa can do this thing called routines, where if you say a certain phrase, she’ll repeat off a custom list of things you want her to say. For example, when I say “Alexa, what’s up,” she’ll automatically tell me about any new emails, some good news for the day, the weather for the day, and play my “yellow shine” (good morning) Spotify playlist.
- Working out always makes me feel good about myself (especially after all the pizza I’ve eaten since the semester started), and I am currently working through Chloe Ting’s 26-Day Hourglass Program (for the second time; didn’t complete the first time; results coming later this month). If you’re looking for any non-strenuous at home workout/workout program, check out Chloe Ting; she is amazing.
- Outfit of the Day: Top is from Macy’s, and bottoms are from TJ Maxx.
- When I eat breakfast, I scroll through my phone and check notifications in this order: Snapchat (gotta respond to those streaks), emails, Timehop (gotta maintain that streak; almost to two years), Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube (don’t watch YouTube; just add videos to my “laterrr” playlist)
- Book I was reading: The QB Bad Boy and Me by Tay Marley, which will be the next book review (don’t let the title fool you).
- Movie I watched: What’s Eating Gilbert Grape with Johnny Depp (one of my favorite roles he’s played) and Leonardo DiCaprio (should’ve won an Oscar for this role, OUTSTANDING performance). Cried my eyes out, 10 out of 10 recommend.
Song: “Shower Cap Cutie” by Mona Wonderlick (Soundcloud)
Taking this vacation day showed me the importance of a day off and allowing yourself to do whatever your heart desires. When you’re overwhelmed and/or confused about situations in your life, taking a self-proclaimed vacation day, even if it’s just half a day, works wonders for the brain.